Philanthropy Research Associate
The Philanthropy Research Associate researches and creates new funder profiles for the Access Philanthropy database of Grantmakers. This is a 40hr/month contract position, ideal for students entering the fundraising space, or retirees looking to use their expertise for a few hours a week. The work will expose the right candidate to the world of grantmaking, and details on thousands of national and local foundations, big and small.
Qualities and Qualifications
We are looking for a creative, self-directed, detail-focused person with strong research, analysis, and internet skills.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Access Philanthropy provides access to relevant subscription-based online databases, and extensive training. The successful candidate possesses the following skills and traits.
• Strong interest in Internet-based research
• Interest in nonprofit fundraising
• Analytical skills and ability to organize information in a concise manner.
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial disclosure documents for the purposes of quantifying foundation assets and wealth assessments (specifically a 990PF).
• Strong computer skills and ability to download and export information between systems.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently.
• Ability to recognize and communicate interrelated information pertaining to a Grantmaker’s giving trends and interests.
• Respect for proprietary information.
The successful candidate will:
• Create new funder profiles for the Access Philanthropy database of Grantmakers (provided by AP) by researching and enter the data into the profile fields and uploading forms.
• Analyze and interpret the Grantmaker’s financial disclosure documents for the purposes of quantifying foundation assets, wealth assessment, and history of giving, particularly the 990 (available through ProPublica).
• Read websites, articles, annual reports, online databases, and other external repositories of public information to extract and communicate key information about the Grantmaker: Areas of interests, location interest, program officers, grants managers, grants and programs, application information and deadlines, Board and Trustee members, and political support.
• Make note of the Grantmaker’s financial capacity, philanthropic tendencies, giving propensity and idiosyncrasies.
• Contract position, up to 10hrs/week @ $18.00/hr
• Work remotely, with access to a supportive team
• Access and training on major institutional databases
• This position reports to the Digital Asset Manager
For more information or to submit a resume and cover letter, email to [email protected] We’re not big on inquiries or personal pitches.
Applicants are encourage to apply before August 1.
Who We Are
Access Philanthropy (accessphilanthropy.com) is a philanthropy research, marketing and development consulting firm that works with local and national nonprofit organizations to improve their fundraising and marketing methods and results. Recent clients include Ordway Theatre, Arlington House, Kansas City Nonprofit Connect, Black Data Processors, University of Minnesota Institute on the Environment, Minnesota Education Equity Partnership, LifeWorks, MicroGrants, Fairmont Opera House and many other large and small organizations.
In addition to one-on-one support for clients, Access Philanthropy maintains an online database of 3,000+ profiles of local and national funders available in segmented lists (such as Girl Funders, Domestic Abuse Services Funders, American Indian Funders, Minnesota Small Family Funders, Rural Arts & Culture Funders).