Lots of new surveys about giving and asking this month. Some of the big deals:
- Annie E. Casey Foundation’s annual Kids Count Data Book is out. By far, the best and most authoritative guide to child welfare data – state by state — in the US. Find out how children and families in your state rank in depression, Covid recovery, hunger, and poverty. It’s free, easily downloadable, and click bait free!
- When’s the best day and time to ask for a contribution?A Giving Way survey says that Tuesday and Fridays are the best days to ask, and weekends are the worst). The survey also found the best TIME to ask is generally between 9am and 4pm, but especially between 11am and noon
- Giving USA 2021: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2020, the well-respected, gold standard compilation of data on individual and institutional giving, reported that overall giving rose 5.1% from 2019 to 2020. Individual giving was up 2.2% and institutional giving up an incredible 17%. Giving from bequests was also up – 10.3%, BUT… Corporate is down 6.1%
Giving to human services, education, religion, public-society welfare, international causes, environment/animals, and philanthropic foundations was up. But giving for to the arts and health (in a pandemic year!) was down.
Lots of fun details (such as giving to Lutheran institutions vs. Baptists), but the data is not specific enough to affect your fundraising. Read the summaries before you buy.
- Minneapolis St Paul Business Journal did an interesting piece on the economic clout of immigrants and refugees in Minnesota. For example, in 2019, immigrants and refugees in the Minneapolis area held $1.2 billion in spending power – 11.2% of the area’s total
- Nonprofit Tech for Good produced 2020 Global Trends in Giving Report, a survey of giving on each continent, including top countries, top funding issues, top giving level, and giving by gender and age. Probably not going to change your five-year development plan, but it’s an interesting perspective on giving in Africa, Asia, South America, Europe